Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lunch feature 26.08.10

Pan Seared Okanagan Sockeye
Kabocha Squash & House Cured Bacon Perogie
Saskatchewan Chanterelles
Creamed Local Corn
Red Wine Sockeye Jus

This Sockeye salmon which runs up the Columbia river to spawn in lake Osoyoos was caught by the local Indian Band and brought to the restaurant so fresh that it still had rigor mortis. What a total joy!

Every piece of trim was used in the jus which I made by roasting all the trim with carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes and tomato paste. I deglazed the roasting pan with red wine then added vegetable stock and let it simmer for a few hours. I then strained the stock and reduced it to a sauce consistency. I added a little bit of corn starch at the end to get the right viscosity. No part of this beautiful fish went to waste.

The perogies were a simple accompaniment that went perfectly. The dough is really simple, equal parts by weight of yogurt and flour. The filling was roasted squash, shallots, garlic, bacon & herbs. Blanched then pan fried.

The Chanterelles spoke for themselves. Just sauteed with some shallots, finished with veg stock and a bit of butter.

The creamed corn was made by making a stock with onions, corn cobs,parmesan rind, veg stock and cream. I simmered that for a hour and then blended it all together. I then strained the liquid through a fine sieve. The kernels were blanched and then pureed into the stock. I reduced this until I reached an consistency that coated the back of a spoon. To this I added more kernels.

This was one hell of a tasty plate. Should have been a dinner feature but who says lunch can't be decadent.

Sean Peltier

No comments:

Post a Comment