Friday, August 20, 2010

Lunch feature 20.08.10

Pan Seared Pacific Ling Cod
Smoked Salmon & Carmelis Chevre Croquette
Grilled Onion Salad, Romesco Sauce
Shaved Hazelnut

Yesterdays risotto croquette was such a hit that I decided to do it again, this time with potato and salmon with a hint of refinement. I made a simple mousse with salmon. I did the quick candy and smoke that I have done so many times with salmon bellies. To that I added some cooked shallots, chevre, creme fraiche, seasonings and herbs. For the potato I boiled them until tender, peeled them, then riced them. I did this so that I developed as little starch as possible. Just mashing them by hand will leave you with chunks and extra starch. With the potato I placed it on a piece of plastic wrap, then placed another piece on top and rolled the potato paper thin between the wrap with a rolling pin. Then I removed the top piece of plastic wrap, trimmed the potato with a spatula into a nice long rectangle and piped the mousse into a long line down the middle. Then I rolled the potato around the salmon, wrapping it tightly in plastic. From this point I froze the croquettes to make the breading easier. Once frozen, I breaded them and set them aside for frying.

The Romesco sauce is one of my favorites, it's so simple and it works great with so many things. In Spain they dip charred green onions into romesco, there is a name for it that I don't know. What I do know it that romesco and grilled onions is one of my favorite combos. Anyhow, for the sauce all that you do is toss the following in oil and roast until nicely caramalized: tomato, onion, bell peppers, celery, zucchini, garlic and hazel nuts. You can really use any vegetables you want. Traditionally it has bread and almonds in it as well, minus the hazelnuts. Once its all roasted, put it in a blender with some vinegar of your choice(I used apple cider vinegar) and puree, adding in xvoo as it blends. Season to taste then pass through a fine sieve. So good, I like it to be quite acidic and I also added some hazelnut oil in with the blending.

For the Onions I just grilled any onion I could get my hands on(spanish, red, green, leek & shallot), seasoned them and tossed them in xvoo and truffled vinegar.

Perfectly pan seared fish, finnished in the pan with brown butter, lemon and herbs. I then shaved a hazelnut over the fish and it's all done. I really liked this one, great blending of flavors.

Sean Peltier

No comments:

Post a Comment